THE BOOK
Some of the ideas discussed in this blog are published in my new book called "The Stonehenge Bluestones" -- available by post and through good bookshops everywhere. Bad bookshops might not have it....
To order, click
HERE

Thursday 8 December 2011

Please take care

One of our regular contributors has reported a virus attack on his computer which seemed to coincide with opening up the page for the last post -- on Seeing Beneath Stonehenge.  I have checked my computer carefully, and everything seems to be working as it should, including the links.  But I use an Apple Mac and I'm aware that PCs are much more vulnerable........

So please check that all is well, and that you have all appropriate virus protection measures in place -- just in case.

Brian

PS.  It appears that the Bournemouth blog link contains a trojan horse.  I have now wiped it off -- but if anybody has it downloaded onto their computer,  please beware.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

the Bournmouth blog link does indeed contain a trojan horse.
Please remove it Brian to stop it spreading further,
PeteG

BRIAN JOHN said...

Thanks Pete -- I have taken the link off the site, and all the other links on that post as well, just to be on the safe side. How does this Trojan horse thing work?

Anonymous said...

it uses a java script to inject some code to redirect to a site that downloads a trojan horse virus.
The trojan can record keystrokes and reports back any bank details and passwords you enter.
PeteG

BRIAN JOHN said...

Nasty! How did you know it was there, Pete? Do you have protection software that sends you a warning when you click on an infected link?

Anonymous said...

yes, I used Eset Nod32 virus program and MalewareBytes which picks up just about everything!
Mac's are not immune so get a virus checker as people are now targeting Macs.
PeteG

Jon Morris said...

Do you know which file or link was infected?

Cheers

Jon

BRIAN JOHN said...

The Bournmouth blog link. I had it up on the site along with a few others -- now all taken off. If you have clicked on any of them, beware..... I don't know how these things work, but I suppose that if you looked at my post shortly after I put it up this morning, that version may still be on your computer, stored in your cookies? You might be able to get rid of it by clicking on "refresh" or "reload" -- which will give you the uncorrupted version (I hope)....

Jon Morris said...

Odd! might cause a bit of negative publicity for Bournemouth if they're not careful.

BRIAN JOHN said...

They know about it -- but these things are hellishly difficult to stop. There but for the grace of God........

Their problem may be that the blog is peripheral to the mainstream university site, and so possibly hasn't had the same virus protection and security systems in place.

Jon Morris said...

By the way, I checked through my logfiles and discovered a Trojan horse viral attempt on the date I visited the site: It's something called Generic Exploit!jj (a trojan horse virus)

BRIAN JOHN said...

Thanks Jon

I have noticed no changes in the way my computer behaves -- but I did look at that Bournemouth blog site and apparently this Trojan horse thing can
get onto a computer (for example, mine) and then get transferred onto another one without dramatically affecting mine...... but I am still mystified, because the blog is not on my computer but on Blogger (a part of Google.) Does that mean that the Blogger.com site is infected on their giant server? Goodness knows....